Monday, October 15, 2007

An AMAZING hike!




Hey everyone, I did it. I finally got over the fear of putting my face on the internets (the network of tubes that connects us). Here we are at the saddle of Mount Timpanogos. The conditions for this hike were perfect - except for the hurricane level wind gusts at the top. Despite feeling like a human kite, we made it to the top. I failed to get a pic at the summit. Our hands and faces were numb and we were very busy trying to scarf our trail-mix and tuna-in-a-pouch before we headed back down. The smell of the various trees and flowers was incredible while hiking through the valley up and down the mountain. From the top, we could almost see the bottom of Emerald Lake, the result of the melting glacier/permanent ice flow. We were joined by ReBecca's brother, Aaron, and sister-in-law, Jenny. It was great to have such nice (and funny) people to talk to the whole way. I felt like I accomplished something after we reached the car (thanks to Elyse for letting us borrow her stylish little Lancer), that is until we found out that ReBecca's Grandma Ricks has been to the top of Timp twelve times. Wow. We have committed to doing it again and if anyone reading this has the urge, please let us know and we can correlate.

Some details of the hike:
  • 7.5 miles to the summit (one way on the Timpooneke trail)
  • 11,749 foot summit
  • link to map of hike here (thanks to www.climb-utah.com)
Our trip to Utah was very brief, but Kevin and Melissa's wedding was wonderful (our main reason for going). Good luck to them in their journeys. Anyway, we will hopefully be good bloggers and make many more interesting posts in the near future.


For those interested, you can see a few pics of the quick trip we made to Utah for Melissa and Kevin's wedding here.

1 comment:

Dirt said...

Nice blogs!!! It will be nice to check it out occasionally and see how you are doing.

I, too, am waiting for my rafting photos to arrive in the mail then I will post them.

Laters!